Saturday 3 March 2012

Lent!:D

Boo you.
Thought I'd share for lent since I have time on my hands. -my homework not printing and all-. But anyway, just wanted to share how Lent's been good for me. I've never been the best at sacrificing things for spiritual preps and all. But this Lent seems different somehow. I admit, I'm still fighting with myself for certain things, but as I shared with someone the other day, I believe that trying is at least better than not trying at all. One of my school's old econs teachers came back to give us a talk sometime at the end of the last year. And I thought what he shared was pretty interesting, so I'll give you a brief(: :

His company wanted to raise funds for charity like they normally do every year. The question was, "How much to set as their target?". In a stroke of sheer insanity or clarity, he declared that they should raise a million. Everyone thought he was crazy, and just kept telling him that he'd never reach it so he shouldn't bother anyway, but that didn't stop him from insisting that they try. When their charity event was over, they didn't reach a million like they'd hoped. They didn't even reach half that. They did however raise more than a quarter of a million at 275,000 dollars. A good ten times more than their original more down-to-earth target of 25,000 dollars that the rest of his company had initially proposed of aiming for.
I guess I don't know how much you will take away from it, but my point is this: Sometimes we give ourselves easy goals for sacrifices in Lent, because we know that they are more achievable. More than that, we don't want to disappoint ourselves and we don't want to potentially disappoint God for not being able to hit that mark that we verbally tell him we will hit. But God is like any loving father. He wants us to live and to love to our fullest potential. If we give him a cup that is only so big, then God can only fill our cup to its fullest for that size. Though God wants to give us so much more, it is not God who is stopping the flow of his unending love, we as humans merely have put forth nothing to catch it with.

In a similar way, I've found Lent over the past few days to be extremely fulfilling. My sacrifice of refraining from sweet drinks in school is doing well, and I've been pushing the boundaries to get myself to stop drinking sweet drinks outside of school as well. Not always the easiest process, but I like being able to constantly set higher standards. I'm not great with going cold turkey for several things at once sometimes, so I've taken to taking an additive approach. As long as I progressively push the boundaries of my sacrifice, and add more sacrifices where I see fit, I think God will be happy to see that I'm trying. Not much, but it's a start. And beyond that, I think I realise that it's not where you start, but where you go and where you work to end up. So if anyone feels like it, you can join me in continually adding to your Lenten sacrifices. (: as of now, I have about 6 going. And encounting. Seeing as I add them whenever I see that it's something I need to change. So yes, join me(:! God always appreciates your efforts at getting closer to him(:

Hope life's been treating you all well. Most of all, I hope that you can see where God is working in it.
God Bless, swee(:

No comments:

Post a Comment